Top Cancer Killers?
Posted by Jonathan Chamberlain on August 18, 2010
Cancer: The Complete Recovery Guide – www.fightingcancer.com
Cancer Defeated Newsletter
By Lee Euler
The book Natural Cancer Treatments That Work (out of print, unfortunately) lists several nutrients and substances Dr. Flavin-Koenig identifies as top cancer killers. This includes:
- Vitamin A: 1 gram from cod liver oil; according to the journal Endocrine—Related Cancer1, this nutrient promotes apoptosis—or programmed cell death-in tumors.
- Beta Carotene: 200 mg per day; beta carotene is vitamin A in plant form. Scientific studies suggest this nutrient helps suppress the ‘bcl-2′ gene that prevents cancer cells from dying2. Beta carotene also makes cells more responsive to immune system therapy as well as chemotherapy and hyperthermia. Dr. Flavin-Koenig calls beta carotene the most important treatment she recommends, next to stopping cigarettes.
- Soy Products: Studies suggest the isoflavones in soy products could be effective in treating prostate cancer3. Soy is controversial and I don’t recommend it personally. It may be fine, but I don’t think scientists know that for sure just yet.
- Fish Oil: Dr. Flavin-Koenig recommends 4 grams daily to suppress the ‘Ras’ gene that encourages tumors to grow. A defective form of this protein is found in nearly a third of all cancer cases.
- N-Acetylcysteine: Sometimes called NAC for short, the dose Dr. Flavin-Koenig recommends is 600 mg, 3 times a day. This antioxidant stops uncontrolled blood vessel growth (angiogenesis) which feeds tumors4. It also turns bcl-2 into the ‘Bax’ gene to encourage cancer cell death. NAC confers other, multiple benefits including a boost in your immune system’s T-killer cells.
- Sodium Selenite: She urges 400 micrograms a day of this liquid form of selenium. I would hope everyone reading this already supplements with selenium. This antioxidant helps stabilize destructive free radical cells. News to me: she says it’s best to take this at least 30 minutes before or two hours after taking vitamin C.
- Vitamin C: 3 to 5 grams daily spread throughout the day. Johns Hopkins scientists showed that vitamin C deprives tumor cells of the HIF-1 protein they use to survive5. Dr. Flavin-Koenig also recommends 5 to 7 grams two times a week administered intravenously (by IV).
- Lactoferrin: 1 gram dissolved slowly in the mouth at bedtime helps prevent angiogenesis; studies show lactoferrin helps decrease tumors and is also effective at suppressing growth of human pancreatic cancer cells6. I wrote about lactoferrin at length in Issue #16. You can look at previous issues at www.cancerdefeatednewsletter.com.
- Bromelain: 1 capsule 4 times a day also helps prevent angiogenesis, the uncontrolled blood vessel growth mentioned above. Researchers believe this enzyme found in the fruit and stem of pineapples could block growth of a broad range of tumor cells, including breast, lung, colon, ovarian and melanoma. I wrote about bromelain in Issue #6 and in my Special Report on enzymes, The Missing Ingredient. Australian research recently confirmed the value of this natural treatment (which alternative cancer doctors have known about for decades).
- Wobe Mugos: An enzyme mixture made from an extract of the calf thymus gland, papaya plant enzymes, and the pancreas of cows and pigs7. Wobe Mugos is used in Europe to treat a variety of cancers, enhance the immune system and help block tumor growth, especially in colon cancer. You can now buy Wobenzym, a consumer enzyme formula made by the same company, in American health food stores. If you don’t know about enzymes, you’re missing one of the most important pieces of information in alternative health. That’s why I called my report The Missing Ingredient. Enzymes are just about the most underrated supplement around.
- Indomethacin: This one may require a prescription. It blocks two body chemicals that play a role in angiogenesis, tumor growth, and metastasis (the spread of cancer beyond its original site).
- Devil’s Claw: Take 3 times a day as a substitute for Indomethacin. It’s somewhat less effective, according to Dr. Flavin-Koenig.
- Thuja: This is an anti-viral plant available as a tincture for cervical cancer8.